🤯 Tech screens in big tech
What’s a phone screen?
For those who don’t know, a technical phone screen is usually a chat with an engineer or manager to make sure you generally sound like you know what you’re talking about. If you do well on this interview, you’re onto the next round of interviews (usually the “on-site” round).
I can’t disclose the names of these companies, but I obfuscated domain-specific questions so that you can get a general idea of the questions they asked.
And yes, they’re actually offering FOUR HUNDRED FIFTY THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS for these types of positions.
Can you pass this phone screen?
- Admin 101: What are the differences between profiles, roles, and permission sets?
- Admin 102: How can you restrict Login IP addresses for users?
- Know your automation: What out-of-the-box automations are available at a dev/admin’s disposal?
- General Apex knowledge: What’s Apex? How would you explain a trigger to someone who is 10 years old? What about a Flow?
- Integrations: What’s the best practice around integrating an external system to Salesforce? What would an admin/dev need to do to ensure the external system can connect to an instance?
- Data loading, at scale:
- What tools are at our disposal to export/import data?
- What’s the best way to load 1 million records into a Salesforce instance? How can we monitor that it was successfully done?
- Communities: What do you know about Salesforce Communities?
- Apex 101: What are three examples of governor limits?
- Best practices: What are your strategies to stay under those governor limits?
- OOP fundamentals: What’s your favorite SOLID design principle? What’s your least favorite, and why?
- Know your collections: What are some collection types?
- Open-ended question time: You get a ticket where a Sales rep is complaining that someone has edit right to an opportunity they shouldn’t have edit rights to. This Sales rep is also saying their Opportunity is now owned by a different Sales rep. How do you address this?
- Best practices: What’s your standard practice for implementing triggers and other automations (workflow rules, process builders, flows, etc.)?
- Scripting: What’s the difference between Visualforce, Aura, and Lighting Web Components?
- Scenario time: The business wants to associate all new cases to a single Account in Salesforce to take advantage of Entitlements and Milestones. Expect the case load to be around 10k cases a month. Would you approve their proposed plan?
- Fundamentals part Deux: What does DRY stand for, and what are your thoughts on it?
Subscribe to the newsletter using the form below and you'll get a 15+ page list of interview questions that top tech companies ask in their interviews.